My role is to synthesise and undertake research to inform the mental health, addiction and disability workforces. This means I work with various projects across Te Pou and help ensure our work is informed by research evidence, as well as lived experience and clinical perspectives. My main areas of work include least restrictive practice (reducing seclusion and restraint) and undertaking research using data from the NZ Health Survey and Programme for the Integration of Mental Health Data (PRIMHD).
- Jury, A., Koning, A., Lai, J., Tuason, C., Huriwai, T., & Hetrick, S. (2020). Hazardous drinking and general practitioner visits in the past year. New Zealand Medical Journal, 133(1518), 43-53. https://www.nzma.org.nz/journal-articles/hazardous-drinking-and-general-practitioner-visits-in-the-past-year
- Lai, J., Hanton, P., Jury, A., & Tuason, C. (2019). Reducing days of alcohol use improves lifestyle and wellbeing: an analysis of outcomes data from New Zealand adult community alcohol and other drug services. New Zealand Medical Journal, 132(1495), 54-64. https://www.nzma.org.nz/journal-articles/reducing-days-of-alcohol-use-improves-lifestyle-and-wellbeing-an-analysis-of-outcomes-data-from-new-zealand-adult-community-alcohol-and-other-drug-services
- Lai, J., Jury, A., Long, J., Fergusson, D., Smith, M., Baxendine, S., & Gruar, A. (2019). Variation in seclusion rates across New Zealand's specialist mental health services: Are sociodemographic and clinical factors influencing this? International Journal of Mental Health Nursing, 28(1), 288-296. https://doi.org/10.1111/inm.12532
- Jury, A., Lai, J., Tuason, C., Koning, A., Smith, M., Boyd, L., Swanson, C., Fergusson, D. and Gruar, A. (2019). People who experience seclusion in adult mental health inpatient services: An examination of health of the nation outcome scales scores. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing, 28(1), 199-208. https://doi.org/10.1111/inm.12521
- Lockett, H., Jury, A., Tuason, C., Lai, J., & Fergusson, D. (2018). Comorbidities between Mental Health and Physical Health Conditions: An Analysis of the New Zealand Health Survey data. New Zealand Journal of Psychology, 47(3), 5-11. https://www.psychology.org.nz/journal-archive/Comorbidities-between-Mental-and-Physical-Health-Problems.pdf
- Lockett, H., Lai., J., Tuason, C., Jury, A., & Fergusson, D. (2018). Primary healthcare utilisation among adults with mood and anxiety disorders: an analysis of the New Zealand Health Survey. The Journal of Primary Health Care, 10(1), 68-75. https://doi.org/10.1071/HC17077