Job Context and Environment
Due to the nature of the role, the job holder is required to be experienced in AOD work, well organised, good with boundaries, have excellent people skills, and be conscientious. This includes supporting tāngata whai ora coming to St Marks, Board members and colleagues.
A Therapeutic Community (TC) is a place where rational authority works up and down the whole structure of the whānau from the newest residents to the CEO. The clinical staff are accountable to the Team Leader in terms of roles and responsibilities and management supervision though direct HR responsibilities lie with the CEO.
TC’s are by their very nature dynamic and require someone who is flexible, adaptable and willing to be involved in both provocation and evocation in the community (See De Leon’s ‘The Therapeutic Community’), for the benefit of our tāngata whai ora. Values, attitude and compassion are more important in this role than qualifications. We believe in people and their capacity for change, we challenge, with compassion, we confront, with care, we support with aroha.
St Marks is undergoing an exciting period; We have a new accommodation block being built, we have just passed our certification audit, we have secure funding for at least the next three years, we have just redesigned our whole wānanga (education programme). As well as wānanga and therapy groups, St Marks offers residents yoga, art therapy, waiata practice, specific gender groups and many other opportunities to grow and learn within a structured therapeutic environment.
Position Summary and Duties
- You will co facilitate and lead group therapy
- You will deliver elements of wānanga such as 'drama triangles', 'cycle of addiction', 'te whare tapa wha'; don't worry if you don't know all the topics, we will help you get to grips with them
- one on one counselling (not the main thrust of the work here).
- facilitate men's gender group
- deliver aftercare meeting/group/activity at least once per fortnight in evening (we will work out a suitable time together)
- and of course....any other reasonable duty...as in all contracts
Qualifications and experience:
- You will be DAPAANZ registered, or a member working towards registration.
- You will hold a level 7 AOD qualification or hold a qualification or HPC registration in a relevant related field such as counselling, nursing etc. at Level 7 or above.
- You will have worked in the AOD field for a minimum of one year
- If you have worked in a Therapeutic Community, this would be advantageous
All applicants must be double vaccinated to be considered for this post
- Competitive salary
- Help with relocation if needed
- External clinical supervision
- Internal management supervision
- Training opportunities internally and externally
- A fun loving atmosphere
- Supportive therapeutic environment
Interviews are planned for mid December though we may extend deadline for applications and put back interview dates dependent on Covid restrictions and/or application volume. We will provide assistance (financial) to attend interview.
Applications by email with CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Don't be shy, tell us why we should be keen to interview you, spark our interest :-)