We have opened a lovely home in Upper Hutt, where 4 young adults with intellectual disabilities are living. We need some special people to help them adjust to life now that they have left their family home, and to help them create a home life where they will feel understood, respected and truly 'at home'.
The 3 young men and 1 young woman have loving and supportive families, who continue to be very involved in their young people's lives. You will work closely with their families to support them to achieve their goals and potential, and live happy, fulfilled lives. The flatmates don't use words to communicate so you'll have to learn how to get information from them on what they want and need, and how they are feeling physically and emotionally. Being patient and intuitive is a must. You'll need to have humour, warmth, good energy and the initiative to organise things that make life fun for these fabulous young people.
Since they all have very high physical support needs, your role will include personal cares like washing, dressing etc., and doing household chores, as well as reporting and administration.
This role involves shift work, including evenings and weekends and overnights. You need be reliable, punctual, and ready to commit to this role.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have some experience supporting people with disabilities or health needs
- Genuinely love working with people who need support, and seeing them thrive
- Be intuitive and responsive to people's feelings and needs
- Be open to working alongside families to create a good life for people
- Be a good planner- able to think of and plan activities both in-house and out and about
- Commit to following protocols to ensure safety of the people we support
- Know how to use a computer; such as Word, Internet Explorer, and emails
- Have a Full driver's licence
What the role offers:
- Ongoing development and study opportunities - earn while you learn! We can support you to achieve NZQA Health and Wellbeing qualifications.
- A meaningful, life changing career
- A fun vibrant workplace where every day is genuinely different
- Pay rates from $21.50 - $27.00 per hour, and sleepover allowance paid at the hourly minimum wage
For more information please contact Nicky on 027 213 9917 or email@example.com
Apply Now if you have a passion for working with people and want to make a difference!