An exciting opportunity has become available for an experienced youth practitioner to join Odyssey's new Youth Justice Programme, Whakatakapokai.
Odyssey has the privilege of working collaboratively with Youth Justice to deliver an alcohol and other drug programme that focuses on education and therapeutic interventions for young people/ rangatahi.
The programme aims to create hopeful and safe spaces for young rangatahi and to identify opportunities to reflect. As the Advanced Youth Practitioner, you will be a motivator for positive change and will support the rangatahi placed within the Whakatakapokai Youth Justice facility, to identify and achieve their own goals. You will be responsible for coaching and supporting other team members as well as supporting the delivery of the drug and alcohol education programme onsite, through individual and co-facilitated group modalities. Aftercare support to rangatahi as they return to their wider community is also a key component of this role.
This role would be ideal for someone who has experience working in adolescent mental health and addictions and of managing challenging behaviours. In addition, you will have:
• At least two years’ relevant experience working with young people/rangatahi in a social services, Youth Justice, mental health and/or AOD setting.
• A relevant tertiary level qualification e.g. in Alcohol and Drug counselling, Social Work, Youth Work, or other social service field.
• A passion for and ability to engage with young people and their families/whānau.
• Knowledge of child and adolescent development and of addiction issues.
• Full DAPAANZ, social work or other registration with a professional body under the HPCA Act.
• Excellent communication and motivational skills.
• The ability to work independently as well as part of a team
• A high degree of flexibility, maturity and common sense.
• Knowledge of the Treaty of Waitangi.
• A full, clean driver’s licence.
In return, we offer:
· A competitive salary and benefits, including 22 days annual leave and 5 days paid study leave
· Access to on-going professional development opportunities and support through regular clinical supervision sessions.
· A lively team of youth practitioners with great passion for engaging with young people on their level and supporting them to uncover their potential.
To apply, please send us a CV, cover letter and complete the additional information questionnaire form. For all enquiries, please contact Ula Mochocka on 021578262.
Closing date: 11 October 2021
Odyssey is an equal opportunity employer and a smoke free organisation. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Please note that Police and Ministry of Social Development clearance checks will be required for this role.