An exciting opportunity has become available for a youth practitioner to join Odyssey's new Youth Justice Programme, Whakatakapokai.
Odyssey has the privilege of working collaboratively with Youth Justice to deliver an alcohol and other drug programme that focuses on education and therapeutic interventions for young people/rangatahi.
The programme aims to create hopeful and safe spaces for young rangatahi to identify opportunities to reflect. As Youth Practitioner, you will be a motivator for positive change and will support the rangatahi placed within the Whakatakapokai Youth Justice facility, to identify and achieve their own goals. You will support the delivery of the drug and alcohol education programme through individual and co-facilitated group modalities as well as by providing aftercare support to rangatahi, in consultation with other Odyssey Youth employees and relevant health professionals.
This role is ideal for someone who is at the start of their career and has a passion for working with young people and an interest in youth development and addictions issue. You will also have:
• A relevant tertiary (level 7) qualification e.g. in Alcohol and Drug counselling, Social Work, Youth Work or other social service field.
• Up to 1 years’ relevant experience of working within a social services, youth justice, addictions and/or mental health care setting.
• The ability to practice within a specific treatment model.
• DAPAANZ, social work or other registration with a professional body under the HPCA Act (or be willing to work towards registration).
• Excellent communication and motivational enhancement skills.
• The ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
• Experience working with behaviour change.
• Knowledge of the cultural practices and customs of Māori and Pacific peoples and a commitment to the Treaty of Waitangi.
• A full, clean driver’s licence.
In return, we offer:
· A competitive salary and benefits, including 22 days annual leave and 5 days paid study leave
· Access to on-going professional development opportunities and support through regular clinical supervision sessions.
· A lively team of youth practitioners with great passion for engaging with young people on their level and supporting them to uncover their potential.
If interested, you can apply by sending us a full CV, cover letter and complete the additional information questionnaire form. For all enquiries, please contact Ula Mochocka on 021578262.
Closing date: 12 October 2021
Odyssey is an equal opportunity employer and a smoke free organisation. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Please note that Police and Ministry of Social Development clearance checks will be required for this role.