About the role
NZ Police provide Wellness Support Services to Police staff through our team of Wellness Advisors who are based in Policing Districts across the country.
If you have a strong background in triage and experience in case management and are a Registered Social Worker, Nurse, Occupational Therapist, or counsellor with relevant professional body membership, experience in mental health and are looking for a challenge then apply to work as part of our team of locum NZ Police Wellness Advisors.
NZ Police Wellness Advisors provide a variety of services to our Police staff including activities and interventions to minimise the impact of trauma and build resilience. The role includes:
- Provision of psychosocial assessment and brief interventions
- Screening for the impact of trauma
- Completing referrals, as needed to NZ police contracted psychologists, under our Police Trauma Support policy
- Carrying out a variety of tasks designed to promote or support psychological wellbeing in the workplace
- Providing psychological first aid to Police staff who attend critical incidents
- Building resilience through education to adults as individuals and groups
As a locum you will provide casual cover when required, and be able to work out of one or more of the following main centres -Whangārei, Auckland, Hamilton, Tauranga, Napier/Hastings, Palmerston North, Wellington, Nelson, Christchurch, Dunedin.
What you’ll bring
Being part of the Police whānau is about being our best to ensure our communities are safe and feel safe. Our Core Competencies provide a shared understanding of the behaviours, leadership and technical competence required for success at each level of Police. Whilst we are looking for skills, knowledge and experience relevant to the role, we also place high importance on your state of mind, the alignment of your values with ours, your ability to contribute to and build high performing teams, and the way that you lead yourself or others. You will;
- Have a strong background in triage, risk assessment and experience in case management
- Have high levels of personal and professional agility and the ability to be calm under pressure
- Have the ability to integrate trauma informed care principles into everyday activities
- Be able to work autonomously
- Be a team player with a good sense of humour
- Be available on a casual basis
- Professional qualification (Social Work, Mental Health Nurse, Occupational Therapist or counselling)
- Must have current registration and practicing certificate and /or professional body membership where required
- Must have a minimum of 5 years post grad clinical experience
The Wellness team is dispersed throughout the country. You may need to be available to travel within the Police District you are posted to and on occasion travel outside of the District may be required.
- An orientation will be provided along with ongoing peer support.
- The Team Leaders are based in Auckland and Wellington so being comfortable with remote management and using technology to join with meetings (or being willing to learn) is essential
- Applicants must be a NZ or Australian citizen, or a Permanent NZ resident to apply for this position
This role is set at Individual Contributor level, this means your key purpose is “to deliver or enable others to deliver Our Business”.
We will ask you questions based on “How we will deliver Our Business – Core Competencies” and the appropriate role level, i.e. Individual Contributor.
For more information on Our Core Competencies, please copy and paste this URL: https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/default/files/publications/core-competencies-how-we-will-deliver-our-business.pdf
These questions will be unique and specific to the role, focusing on the aspects the hiring manager believes are most important for that position at the time.
For more information on Our Values, please copy and paste this URL: https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/default/files/publications/nzp-our-values.pdf
To view the position description for this role please copy and paste this link into a new browser:
Our mission is to be the safest country by delivering services that ensure New Zealand communities are confident, safe and secure.
Your wellbeing inside and outside of work is important to us. We’re open to discussing flexible working options that work for both you and the business.
For more information on the above, please copy and paste this URL: https://www.police.govt.nz/careers
How to Apply
If this position sounds like you, click apply now. You will be required to submit an application form and a CV. Before confirmation of hire, pre-employment checks will be undertaken. For further information on the application process, please copy and paste this URL: https://www.police.govt.nz/careers
If you have any questions about this vacancy, please contact either Julie.Mathews@police.govt.nz (Upper North) or Kirsten.Toms@police.govt.nz (Lower North and South Island)