Location: Porirua, Wellington
Contract: Permanent, Full time - rostered & rotating
Service: National Youth Forensic Inpatient Service - Nga Taiohi
Nau mai, haere mai ki Ūpoko ki te uru hauora.
About the role
The Mental Health Support Worker (MHSW) position is in the National Youth Forensic Secure Inpatient Service - a purpose built unit with 10 beds. It provides inpatient service for youth offenders with a mental health and/or alcohol and other drug (AOD) issues. The unit is co-located with the existing Youth Acute Inpatient Mental Health Unit (Rangatahi) and the Youth Intellectual Disability (ID) Inpatient Unit (Hikitia Te Wairua) in the Centre of Excellence at Kenepuru Hospital, Porirua.
- The MHSW is part of the unregulated health workforce and must always work under direction and/or delegation of a Registered Nurse. The role of the MHSW is to provide effective and quality support and services to the rangatahi (young people).
- To accept and carry out activities as delegated by a Registered Nurse, Team leader or their nominee.
- Under the direction of a health professional the MHSW provides support and assists with recreational, social and vocational activities and ensures all duties are carried out within legal requirements and in a culturally safe manner.
Skills & Experience
- Effective communication skills
- Awareness and commitment to the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi
- Experience in a coaching or supporting type role
- Experience with working with youth / rangatahi in the mental health sector is desirable
- Minimum qualification Level 4 NZ Certificate in Health and Wellbeing New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing (Social and Community Services) (Level 4) [Mental Health and Addiction Support New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing (Social and Community Services) (Level 4) [Mental Health and Addiction Support New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing (Social and Community Services) (Level 4) [Mental Health and Addiction Support- Mental Health and Addiction
About our organisation
Capital and Coast DHB (CCDHB) is located centrally in Wellington and has over 6,000 full-time equivalent staff, making us one of the major employers in the Wellington region. CCDHB operates two hospitals – Wellington Regional Hospital in Newtown and Kenepuru Hospital in Porirua – as well as the Kapiti Health Centre at Paraparaumu.
The Mental Health, Addiction and Intellectual Disability Service (MHAIDS) spans three DHBs - Wairarapa, Hutt Valley and Capital and Coast DHB’s and includes local, regional, and national services. The local MHAIDS services are provided from multiple sites within the 3DHB sub-region – greater Wellington, Hutt Valley and Wairarapa.
How to apply:
Applications will not be accepted via email. All candidates applying for any of our current vacancies must complete an online CCDHB application form by clicking the 'Apply Now' button.
Please ensure your uploaded CV and cover letter is in either Word or PDF format. For further information on this role, please email John.Duncan@mhaids.health.nz