Occupational Therapist, Te Whare Awhiora (Acute Inpatient Unit) 1.0 FTE
Te Ara Maioha (Mental Health & Addictions Group), Hauora Tairāwhiti DHB, Gisborne, New Zealand
The position is:
- Full-time, based at Te Whare Awhiora, Hauora Tairāwhiti DHB (Gisborne Hospital)
- Ideal for an applicant with a background in mental health and addictions services
- Provides opportunities for new learning in a dynamic and changing environment
- All candidates must be registered with the New Zealand with a current Annual Practicing Certificate.
What you'll do:
- Provide quality care for tangata whaiora experiencing acute distress
- Implement therapeutic and safe practices across the unit, in partnership with tangata whaiora, whānau and aligned roles
- Liaise across the wider team and community to build partnering, supports and strengthened programme delivery
- Work effectively with people with co-existing presentations
- Engage well with people from a broad range of backgrounds
Gisborne is situated on the East Coast of the North Island. We are a unique community with a strong connection to tangata whenua. In this role you will be impactful on not only individuals, but whānau and our community. Knowledge and understanding of Te Ao Māori is highly desirable, integrated with best practice and evidence based approaches. Te Whare Awhiora is an eight-bed acute mental health and addictions admission unit based at Gisborne Hospital. Within this unit you will use the knowledge of your profession and other wide-ranging skills to achieve positive whānau outcomes. We are looking for a compassionate occupational therapist who is motivated to develop their knowledge and skills and advance their career in mental health and addictions.
We are looking for someone with the following traits:
- High level of creativity and a flexible mind-set
- Empathetic with high quality relationship management skills
- Excellent clinical reasoning and ability to reflect on their practice
- Ability to work well within the small dedicated Unit team; wider service group and in partnership across community
- Practices in a manner that is consistent with Te Tiriti of Waitangi, and addresses inequity especially for Māori
- Knowledge of Te Reo advantageous
All applicants will be subject to a Police screening.
For further information about this opportunity, please contact Nicola Pittar Clinical Nurse Manager Te Whare Awhiora on 06 8690500 ext 8081 or 021 359790.
Thank you for considering making Hauora Tairāwhiti your new work family!