Location: Porirua, Wellington
Contract: Permanent, full time
Service: Purehurehu, Mental Health, Addictions & Intellectual Disability Service
Purehurehu Medium Secure Forensic Inpatient Unit at Ratonga Rua O Porirua is part of the Mental Health Addiction and Intellectual Disability Service, (MHAIDS) 3 DHB which covers the central region from Tairawhiti on the East Coast across to Wanganui and south to Wellington and Wairarapa. It encompasses Central Regional Forensic inpatient and community services, Youth Forensic Service, Inpatient Rehabilitation and Extended Care Services, and Intellectual Disability Services. Located about 20 minutes away from central Wellington, in Porirua, Purehurehu is a male clients-only unit offering assessment and rehabilitation services to:
- Defendants charged with criminal offences
- Offenders who have a psychiatric illness
About the role
We are looking for an innovative and committed Support Worker who is energetic, has the ability to give positive encouragement to clients, be flexible with tasks, have energy and be able to work under the direction and delegation of Occupational Therapists. You will be able to support people with mental health issues to create a daily routine and establish activities on the campus and within the community. You will assist with facilitating groups targeting specific goals, carry out individual sessions based on a plan, and will encourage and motivate clients to engage and participate.
- Support the Occupational Therapists in their work
- Support clients to complete normal activities of daily living
- Encourage clients to participate in meaningful occupations
- Accompany Clients on community outings
Skills & experience
- Level 3 NZQA National Certificate in Community Health Support Services (or equivalent qualification)
- Practice in a manner that service users determine as being culturally safe
- Be respectful and able to collaborate in practice
- Use good communication: written, verbal and electronic skills
- Full drivers licence
- Experience in a mental health area
About our organisation
Capital and Coast DHB (CCDHB) is located centrally in Wellington and has over 6,000 full-time equivalent staff, making us one of the major employers in the Wellington region. CCDHB operates two hospitals – Wellington Regional Hospital in Newtown and Kenepuru Hospital in Porirua – as well as the Kapiti Health Centre at Paraparaumu.
The Mental Health, Addiction and Intellectual Disability Service (MHAIDS) spans three DHBs - Wairarapa, Hutt Valley and Capital and Coast DHB’s and includes local, regional, and national services. The local MHAIDS services are provided from multiple sites within the 3DHB sub-region – greater Wellington, Hutt Valley and Wairarapa.
Applications will not be accepted via email. All candidates applying for any of our current vacancies must complete an online application form by clicking the 'Apply Now' button. Any queries please email Gerald.Ward@mhaids.health.nz