Peer Support Worker 40 hours
Addictions (Counties Manukau)
If you’re excited about working for a progressive organisation at the forefront of Mental Health and Addictions and want to be part of a vibrant culture Ember Korowai Takitini is for you.
Ember blends professional expertise and lived experience to offer a range of services and supports for anyone with mental health, addiction or intellectual disability needs. We desire a society that better understands and responds to mental distress, addiction, and intellectual disability.
Are you looking for an exciting role where you can make a difference using your personal experience of AOD and recovery?
If the answer is yes, then this might be the job for you!
Ember is an innovative, organisation that sits at the cutting edge of values-based mental health and AOD services, and are looking for people whose passion is peer support.
Peer support is a challenging role, which requires tenacity, resilience and a sense of humour. It is also a rewarding role where you can use your own experience of addictions to make a difference in the lives of others. As a role model and peer, you will be inspiring hope through sharing your own story of recovery with those who are looking at moving towards different choices and options in their lives.
The role of Peer Support Worker will require of you to build a relationship with others based on a common experience of recovery from AOD. You will be working with prodominalty male peers.
The relationship fosters mutual learning and growth and is strongly focused on supporting people to make positive changes in their lives.
We are looking for people who:
- Are mature, patient and respectful.
- Have experienced AOD and are in recovery themselves and can act as a role model to others
- Have strong cultural competencies in working within different cultures,
- Have good communication and active listening skills
- Are positive and encouraging with a good sense of humour.
- Are willling to embrace change and learn
- Will hang in there when the going gets tough and is resilient and assertive
- Are critical and reflective thinkers
- Are able to work in an ethical framework
- Are able to work when required flexible working hours and as part of a supportive team
- Have computer skills (especially e-mail and word processing)
- Have preferably completed Peer Employment Training (PET)
- Have preferably completed Intentional Peer Support Training (IPS)
- Have a full NZ drivers licence
- Have NZ residency
- Have a minimum 12 months of abstinence
- Be working towards, or already hold a Health and Wellbeing L4 certificate or equivalent.
For more information about this job, please contact Nichol’e Jones, Team Manager, on: 027 700 6960
Ember is an Essential Service, as part of this role, you must be fully vaccinated.
Closing Date: this position will be advertised until filled
To apply for this position, please submit all of the following documents:email@example.com
1) Download and complete an Application Form http://Ember.org.nz/careers
2) Prepare an up-to-date CV
3) Answer the following questions in a Cover Letter
- Why are you interested in this position?
- What skills, competencies, knowledge and experience can you bring to this role?