- Transitional Housing Youth Worker position available.
- Part-time, working Saturday and Sunday PM shifts in Hamilton East.
- Supporting taiohi (young people) to build confidence, resilience and wellbeing.
Join our youth focused team to help support taiohi transitioning into independent living.
We have an exciting opportunity for someone to join our expanding Real community-based youth service in Hamilton. The ideal person will have experience working with complex youth and can demonstrate ability and cultural competence in working with Maaori.
The role is 16 hours per week, Saturday and Sunday, 3.00pm- 11.30pm
The transitional house (Te whare Hua pai) is an independent flatting situation where taiohi learn how to become independent. There is no full-time adult support, it will be your responsibility to help maintain clear communication, hygiene and other aspects needed for a thriving flat.
This is a newly created position in our Te whare hua pai. You will be responsible for helping taiohi through the weekend with any difficulties that may arise or support them where necessary and ensuring flat routines and safety are followed.
You will have:
- The New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing (NZCHW) or a recognised equivalent or be prepared to study towards this qualification or a recognised equivalent.
- An understanding of trauma-informed care and experience in support work, preferably with young people.
- A current full New Zealand driver’s licence.
- A current New Zealand first aid certificate or be prepared to obtain one.
You will be:
- A great listener, the sort of person who will listen to the taiohi who use our services.
- A fresh thinker, using curiosity and imagination to generate new ideas.
- Passionate about mentoring and supporting taiohi to build confidence, resilience and wellbeing.
- You will have a knowledge and understanding of Te Ao Maaori, preferably with Te Reo Maaori and Tikanga.
The Wise Group are passionate supporters of our communities and vulnerable populations. We place a high value on the safety and wellbeing of our staff and the people we support. We endorse the Ministry of Health recommendation for vaccinations to protect us all against COVID-19. It is therefore our expectation that all new Wise Group employees are vaccinated.
Our spirit is ‘loving life’ - that’s what we do and what we help young people do
We provide health and wellbeing services in the community to people aged between 14 and 24. We believe in the importance of community, connection and relationships – and in the ability of young people to shape their own futures.
Find out more about Real at www.real.org.nz
The Team and Service
Our expanding team is be made up of motivated people who live and breathe our purpose, make ordinary things extraordinary and spend their days going above and beyond to help young people to realize their potential.
In this role you can look forward to a supportive working environment where you will develop and grow your skill set. All of this while ensuring you are prioritising your wellbeing and having fun.
Ready to take a closer look at Real? Then apply now.
Closing Date: Monday 25 October 2021. Please note, this advert may close sooner if a suitable candidate is found.
Position Description: https://www.wisegroup.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Real-YW-Waikato-Mobile-2020.pdf
Contact: Naomi Paekau, Team Coach, 027 205 7608
Real is supported by Pathways Health Limited, part of the Wise Group. Pathways are committed to healthy lifestyles and actively support a smoke-free environment.
**All new appointees into Pathways require background checking. Under the requirements of the Children's Act 2014, new employees that are identified as coming under this act are required to undergo further safety checks as part of the recruitment process.