- Permanent full-time position, working across Taranaki
- New contract providing a new opportunity
- Are you motivated and energised to support young people?
A new service (Whetu Marewa) is being developed and we are looking for a Youth Worker
The Whetu Marewa (Rising Star) services aims to build the confidence, resilience & wellbeing of taiohi (young people) with mental health and addiction related issues by enabling access to a range of supported interventions. Whetu Marewa provides mobile support in a community out-reach approach.
We are looking for a savvy and energised Youth Worker to join our new service. If you are passionate about supporting young people to build confidence, resilience, and wellbeing, and would like to work with a great team, we want to hear from you.
This role is for a Youth Worker to work in our Primary Mental Health Team – Whetu marewa. The focus of this service is on supporting Youth, predominantly in rural locations. This is a permanent, full-time position, working Monday to Friday 8am - 4.30pm. The role can be based in New Plymouth or Hawera and work across all of the Taranaki region.
The role of the you the worker involves supporting taiohi (12-24 years) with mild and moderate mental health and addiction concerns and social stressors. Support to taiohi will include brief intervention and positive youth development model of care such as;
- Youth coaching and mentoring
- Kaupapa Māori cultural interventions including a focus on positive cultural identity, whakapapa and whānauora, kapa haka, waiata and other
- A range of recreational and cultural activities as a way of engaging taiohi as well as helping them to build skills and confidence, community connections and healthy, wellbeing focused lifestyle choices such as rock wall climbing, mountain bike riding, rock painting, mindfulness colouring, candle making, crafts, hiking, camping, and skiing.
We would expect the successful applicant to have skills in working collaboratively with other providers to work alongside a registered health professional to address complex needs.
You will be working alongside a Team Coach and a Registered health Professional delivering support to young people in school and community settings. No two days will be the same, you will have the opportunity to work individually with taiohi, facilitate groups or be creative in your practice.
We are interested to hear from people who hold The New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing (NZCHW) or a recognised equivalent or be prepared to study towards this qualification.
- You will also have an understanding of trauma-informed care and experience working with young people.
- You’ll hold a current full New Zealand driver’s license and a current first aid certificate (or be willing to obtain one)
- You’re a great listener
- You’re a fresh thinker, using curiosity and imagination to generate new ideas
- You’re energising, inspiring others with enthusiasm and a take action approach
- You’re a communicator, the sort of positive person who loves supporting, coaching and mentoring
The Covid-19 Public Health (Vaccination) Order requires the full vaccination of anyone conducting high-risk work in the health and disability sector, or who does not necessarily provide a health service but works in a role that requires frequent contact/engagement with those who do. Therefore all workers within the Wise Group are required by the Order to be vaccinated.
Here at Real we value our employee’s and we like to show how much we value you by offering outstanding benefits. Some of the benefits include providing extra annual leave, income protection insurance, flexible working arrangements, and subsidies for school holiday children’s programmes. Real is a supportive work environment where work life balance is encouraged, people are valued, and new solutions are the norm!
Ready to take a closer look at the Real? Then apply now
APPLICATIONS CLOSE: 25 December 2021. PLEASE NOTE, this advert may close early if a suitable candidate is found.
Position description: https://www.wisegroup.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Real-Youth-Worker-2021.pdf
Real is supported by Pathways Health Limited, part of the Wise Group. Pathways is committed to healthy lifestyles and actively supports a smoke-free environment. Find out more about Real at www.real.org.nz
**All new appointees into Pathways require background checking. Under the requirements of the Children's Act 2014, new employees that are identified as coming under this act are required to undergo further safety checks as part of the recruitment process